The Emerging Poets Fellowship at Poets House provides writing instruction and mentoring in the special environment of Poets House's library—with its unique archives and access to far-reaching programs and conversations with poets and poetry audiences. Fellows are required to attend weekly evening workshops at Poets House, engage in one-on-one mentoring sessions, meet with experts in the field, and participate in special events. This fellowship and a modest stipend are offered to participants free of charge thanks to a generous grant from the Jerome Foundation.
The Emerging Poets Fellowship will run from February 22 to May 31, 2017, with a public reading on June 7, 2017 at Poets House. Classes will run on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 8:30 PM. This year's workshop will be led by r. erica doyle.
Applicants to the Emerging Poets Fellowship at Poets House must reside in one of the five boroughs of New York City. Students who are or will be enrolled in any degree granting program during Spring 2017 are ineligible. Poets House seeks a diversity of voices for our Emerging Poets Fellowship and does not discriminate.
- A one-page Personal Statement outlining how this fellowship will impact your career and how you will use this opportunity. This is the place to state any special personal or familial circumstances affecting your financial situation.
- A poetry- and performance-focused Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- A Work Sample of ten pages of poetry.
- Merit of work, based on submitted Work Sample
- Career record, based on Résumé/Curriculum Vitae and Professional References
- Financial and Personal need, based on Personal Statement